Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What I learned in my 30th year

When I am 75 I will show this to my grandchildren to remind them that I was once young and awesome too.

Well, it's been  year since my last annual birthday blog post. Rather than lament my aging body and the fact that the pillow leaves creases on my face until lunchtime, I'm going to do a quick and dirty run down on the things I learned this year:



No One Cares About Your Creative Projects More Than You Do
I am the artistic director of a dance company. I also run a vegan recipe blog. I also develop and teach movement curriculum for a well known acting school. Last year I choreographed over twenty dances, several of them winning heavily in our regional competition circuit. I also choreographed for a musical.

All the creative work I do has taught me that if you don't care about your book/screenplay/dance/lesson plan/film/show/fundraiser, no one will. So you better step up and get to work!

Take Care Of Your Teeth.
I wound up having an emergency root canal this summer (not covered by my crap private medical plan). My dentist was so negligent that he refused to prescribe me antibiotics, despite several requests to come in and see him or get him to prescribe me medicine over the phone. I ended up in emergency with a high fever and had to be given IV antibiotics (and morphine...hell yea) because they were scared of the infection going into my bloodstream, brain and heart.

So like your mother told you, BRUSH YOUR TEETH!

Mind Your Manners
When you make a mistake, admit it. Period.

Learn to Trust
Some people believe that trust means knowing that someone won't hurt you. But trust, by it's very definition, means not knowing if you can trust someone, and trusting them anyways.

Common Sense
If the captain is running on deck, abandon ship.

Chemicals and Such
Everything gives you cancer. So do what you can to mitigate the damage.

Plant a Garden
Gardens are awesome. So is growing your own food.


So here we go, year 31! I'm ready for whatever this year brings. At the end of my life, I don't care if I have wrinkles so long as they were born from laugh lines :)

1 comment:

  1. i think youre one of the most sophisticated 31 year olds i've ever had the pleasure of knowing. this year is going to be your best dammit!! happy birthday miss jenny

    ReplyDelete